Translation Available תרגום זמין Traduction Disponible

לקרוא את הבלוג הזה בעברית, לתרגם הוא בצד הימין Pour traduire ce blog en Français, utiliser le bouton de traduction sur la droite de la page.

Monday, May 19, 2014

Video Based Teacher Assessment (An unabashed plug for Swivl)

As a 30 year educator, I have always loved it when my peers and administrators came into my classroom to observe my teaching.  I have received some my best feedback from great master educators such as Dr. Donna Schaer, Wendy Zacuto and (soon to be Dr) Phu Tranchi.  But that is me… many of my colleagues on the other hand were petrified of the (play horror movie music here) outside observer!

As institutions and individuals, we spend hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars on professional development.  How can we assess (self-assess or third party observer) that we have got it right?  The gut wrenching stress that I see some of my friends suffer from when administrators come into their classroom is very distressing.

Well, there is a technology based solution that is gaining popularity - the use of tablets and smart phones to record classes.


Here is a video (link below) using one of my all-time favorite devices (the Swivl) to record a class. (The Swivl can be used for flipped learning as well) http://player.vimeo.com/video/83203668

The idea is simple.  Set up a tripod in the back of the room with the smart device recording the class.  Using a simple assessment rubric designed during the professional development session, the educator can SEE THEMSELVES how well they are doing.  No outside people in the classroom.  No stress, fuss or bother.

The educator can, from the comfort and privacy of their own home or office, watch the video without having to worry about what a third party is thinking.  I know that the first time I did this, I was amazed at how smoothly my class went.  When I was in the midst of the class, my mind was going "a hundred miles an hour" and I thought that I gave a horrid lesson!  When I was able to playback the class itself, I saw it from a completely different perspective.  With this personal reflection, I was able to improve my technique and ultimately I submitted a video to my administrator demonstrating a lesson that I was very much proud of.

What was even better for me was that I was able to have a small group of my colleagues watch the videos and give me meaningful, solid critique. What I loved to do, when they shared their videos,  was to "steal" their good ideas and incorporate it into my classes!

The idea is simple.  Allow for formative assessment of a teacher that will allow that teacher to see "live" what works and doesn't.  All of this in a controlled, non-threatening venue.

What are your thoughts… please feel free to discuss!!

Regards...
Yossie

Yossie Frankel
Director - Consortium for Information and Academic Technologies
Member Schools:
Harkham Hillel Hebrew Academy - yfrankel@hillelhebrew.org 
Oakland Hebrew Day School - y.frankel@ohds.org
Shalhevet High School - y.frankel@shalhevet.org
Arete Preparatory Academy - yfrankel@areteprep.org
Yeshivat Yavneh - www.yha.org
Checkout my blog @ technorebbe.blogspot.com
Twitter:  @yossiefrankel
YouTube Channel: YossieFrankelChannel

No comments:

Post a Comment