Translation Available תרגום זמין Traduction Disponible

לקרוא את הבלוג הזה בעברית, לתרגם הוא בצד הימין Pour traduire ce blog en Français, utiliser le bouton de traduction sur la droite de la page.

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Create Curiosity - Change the World!!

I am not a "Facebook" person.  There... I said it.... I admit it!!

You see, my 30 Facebook "friends" are really my friends... you understand, people that I actually know.  

Back in high school, I had a group of friends (yes, I had friends back then) that were "techno-geeks" - cool kids, but really into technology. We were soooo far ahead of our time. From our group, there are only two of us still alive; me and my old buddy Peter Valde. (Shout out to you Pete!!)

Now I haven't seen Pete in a little over 20 years but I see some of his Facebook posts. This particular post of his really caught my attention. It really piqued my curiosity.  It made me want to change the world.

It is a story about a teenager, Easton laChappelle (19 years old now) who, as he puts it, because of boredom became interested in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) .  Working from his bedroom (watch the You-Tube video that I have posted - the second video) he began to do amazing things.  He created brain controlled prothetic limbs. Now get this... they cost UNDER $500.00!!!

Now, I know that I have written about prosthetic hands before, but this just BLEW ME AWAY!!   It is not about the 3D printed prosthetics, it is about how one person can change the world!


This You-Tube "Ted-x" is longer but you get a real good idea about the personality of young Easton.

Now, how can WE change the world?

I challenge all of my readers to, at your schools, create your own "Maker Spaces" where students can experiment and create.  If you have a teacher who has some technical acumen, you may even want to undertake to create prosthetic devices. (Here is the URL for Easton's project... http://www.unlimitedtomorrow.com)

Hey, I have an idea.... AMIT Schools, why don't you team up with Yeshivat Yavneh (they have a "maker space" and 3D printers) and create the 3D blueprints for the Mishkan.  I know that they have students who would LOVE to work on this!!! It would be a great real world application of International cooperation. Contact me and we will make it happen.

See, it is easy if you try!!

Other folks reading this post... what ideas do you have?  How can we make this happen?  How can we make our curiosity change the world?
Post you comments on the blog.

Yossie


Yossie Frankel
Director - Consortium for Information and Academic Technologies
Member Schools:
Harkham Hillel Hebrew Academy - yfrankel@hillelhebrew.org
Oakland Hebrew Day School - y.frankel@ohds.org
Shalhevet High School - y.frankel@shalhevet.org
Yeshivat Yavneh - www.yha.org
Arete Preparatory Academy - yfrankel@areteprep.org
Midreshet Emunah V'Omanut - Jerusalem - yfrankel@emunahvomanut.org
Checkout my blog @ technorebbe.blogspot.com
Twitter @yossiefrankel
YouTube Channel: YossieFrankelChannel
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/yossiefrankel

No comments:

Post a Comment